Friday, June 3, 2011

Been a minute

So i have found keeping a blog to be somewhat time consuming, but folks always wanna hear these stories. I doubt if i will ever time to keep this going consistently, then again i should just make time.

Well last week was the Cochon 555 in New Orleans. Getting to compete in butchery is a new thing for me. It was lot's of fun. I was also a judge for the chef portion of the event, the real reason why Cochon 555 exists. Well that and supporting heritage breeds of pig. Right up my alley.



We had 40 minutes to breakdown a half pig + 20 minutes for a head. They gave us a cut list and turned us lose. In most of the Cochon 555 the butcher's, two of them, competed head-to-head. For whatever reason we didn't do it this way in Nola. I was judging food when Glenn Mistich was cutting. I didn't even get to watch. It's my understanding he had some problems, and didn't even touch the head. That's unfortunate since Glenn is a very respectable shop owner and butcher, but these things happen. 
I on the other hand was primed and ready to be turned lose on a whole pig and show the crowd what "seam butchery" looks like. In just the few minutes I had the crowd oooing and ahhing. Seam butchery is visually more exciting, almost like Tai Chi at times. Flipping the ham over for the break, then the shoulder. You get a loud crack, and people really got interested. Most people get surprised how little i need a saw or even a clever. I was happy with my product. Damn the 40 minutes just flew by.


 Sorry these are blurry. I was moving too fast.



The cut list was pretty basic, no curve balls.

Then got 20 minutes with the head. I'll be truthful, I did some deliberate practice runs with this one. I knew it was "freestyle". So I had a plan to make it the same way we do in the shop for our porchetta de testa. The first time it took me 30 minutes i'd say. Once i learned all the curves around the skull it went much quicker. Last practice run i had it deboned in 8 minutes and tied in 2 more. Not sure how long it took in the contest, but it was fast. I held the freshly peeled face up for the crowd, and they cheer. Some guy yells out "put it on!". I said "No way. Im wearing enough pork already". 





To see more of Cochon 555 checkout the web page http://www.cochon555.com/menu/photos/




No comments:

Post a Comment